Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypieLilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Libby and Leah's site: Seeing Stars

Libby and Leah's site

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Seeing Stars

I took the day off yesterday to take Leah (and Lib) to the Dr. to find out about the huge bites on Leah's body. They didn't look like mosquito bites and since she digs at them, they were infected. We also wanted to rule out any other rash type stuff going around. Dr. Adenuga looked at them and said it was nothing to be alarmed about, thank God! I then asked if I could get the girls screened for lead poisoning. We live in an OLD house with an old shooting range in the basement.. and the Chinese toys...just wanted a peace of mind. The lab is right in the office and open until noon, so we just made it! I told the lab lady that Libby should go first since she might decide to change her mind if she sees Leah freaking out. So, I was holding her wrist and her arm while doing a bear hug to keep her still while the lady was jabbing her poor little arm! After not looking for the first 10 seconds, I peeked and saw NO blood coming out. As Libby is screaming for Grandma Meier... I saw the lady squirming the needle around and jabbing. She dug in hard and I actually felt her vein "pop" and blood came out so fast. Leah was patting Libby on her leg to comfort her. She was putting the bandage on and I told the lady I needed to lay down. I was getting hot and seeing stars... the next thing I know, Dr. Adenuga and his entire staff were standing over me talking. Nothing was making sense and I couldn't hear, see, or talk. They asked if I had sugar issues and I nodded. They gave me some orange pop stuff and after a few sips, I said, "Puke" and that came right up in the trash! HOW EMBARRASSING! They walked me out to the waiting room, and had the nurse hold Leah for her turn at the stabbing! After a few minutes, the nurse came out with Leah. She told me Leah was a trooper and didn't even cry! Leah reached out for me, stuck her bottom lip out, pointed to her arm and said, "Owe". The receptionist called John to come and get us since I was still shaky and still disoriented. When I got home, I still felt crappy! The dr. called to see how everyone was doing. I have had a sore throat and fever so his guess was that it was strep! He even called in a prescription for me along with Leah's antibiotic for her bites. I took another day off of work and now I think I'll have another nap!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Mel said...

    Oh, Andi! You poor thing! What a horrible day!

    I hope you ALL feel better; you from your illness, and the girls from their pokes.

    I must comment, though-- I'm surprised that they just didn't do finger pokes for the lead screens! We have an old house, too, and when both boys had their screens, they just did finger pokes, and neither of them cared too much about that. I can't believe they would put such young children through that when they don't have to.

     
  • At 5:48 PM , Blogger David said...

    I'm sure the kid caught something from your invisible cat.

     
  • At 2:28 AM , Blogger Jana S. said...

    Andi,
    I am not sure if you even remember me from high school, but I check out your pages every once in a while, through April Johnson's blog page(s).
    I almost started crying when I read about your whole incident with your little girls getting tortured and you being sick ..... I am glad it all turned out okay.
    Your girls are so adorable and the things they do and say that you write about are so cute and funny!
    I also have two little girls, four-year-old Anna and one-year-old Emma. I have some family pictures at slechtovi.blogspot.com if you want to take a look.
    Oh and I also have to say that you do not look a day over 18, i.e. you look just like you did in high school, although when you actually were 18 you did not look a day over about 12 ..... what I mean by all that is that you look really great of course!

    Jane (formerly Kucharik)

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Blogger stacy said...

    Are you diabetic? That is just crazy. They had to draw blood from Marckus and it took me and 3 nurses to hold him down and one to poke him. We got done and he calmed down and then he said, "it wasn't that bad". I could have choked him.

    ~~Stacy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home